Saturday, June 6, 2009

Finding Time to Write

While every 'How to write a bestseller' and 'Learn to write' resource will vary in its approach and formula of how to break past the hard shell of publishing, one thing is always the same...to become a better writer, we must write every day. At the Columbus Writer's conference a few years ago, one speaker said a friend of his write every day for two hours. Regardless of where he was, he carved out two hours of time to perfect craft; whether that meant at the airport between flights or giving up an evening with friends.



It should be no different for me, although I have two great excuses to throw in the towel and call this attempt at writing a failure. One, I have three children. Two, I homeschool my three children. Because of these excuses, I've learned a few practices that have helped to create more time in my day for reading and writing.



1. Don't watch TV. I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. The only programing that, in my opinion, is worth watching are documentaries. Long live PBS!



2. Wake up an hour earlier than normal. What you do with this hour is up to you. Sometimes I use it to crank out three or four pages. Other times I use it to read, and on rare occasions, I'll actually use that dark morning hour to catch up on household things. What I should do is use a half of that hour to exercise. According to what I've read about morning exercise, raising your heart rate gives you more energy throughout the rest of the day.



3. Schedule time to write. Just like a businessman who schedules meetings with clients and associates, writers need to lop off portions of our schedule to spend time with paper and pen. And then stick to it - don't cancel. The 'business' of writing will never flourish if you continue to be absent from these writing meetings.



4. Join a writing group. People who love me, love my writing. Those who don't are more honest.



5. Along with joining a writing group, do some research on the ettiquette necessary for these groups to be successful and helpful. A quick summary: (a) Always point out something positive in the writing first, even if finding something good in the writing feels like finding a lovely scent in a pile of pooh. (b) Use "I" statements. "I was confused on page 2 paragraph 3 when... and (c) never rewrite another person's work. Make comments, suggestions, point out spelling and grammar errors, but never use your own writing style to rebuild another's work.



6. Attend a writer's conference. These can be quite expensive, but my experience is that the cost doesn't dictate the quality. Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan hosts a wonderful Festival of Faith and Writers. The Society of Children's Writers and Illustrators is another great source for conferences; there is a annual membership fee, but the newsletters and online support are excellent.



7. Get your sass on! You will need a sassy attitude and tough skin to make it in this business. There will be rejections - and possibly many of them - but it's all part of the growth process.

So what are you waiting for? Go! Get off the internet, pick up your pen and start writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment